Visiting Scholar, Johns Hopkins University 2016 – Present
Department of Political Science
Adjunct Professor, Community College of Baltimore County 2017 – Present
Department of Philosophy
Managing Editor 2017 – Present
The Adam Smith Review
Ph.D. Political Science, University of California, San Diego 2017
Dissertation: The Recovery of Virtù: Imitation and Political Practices in the Works of Niccolò Machiavelli
Committee: Tracy Strong, Chair; Harvey Goldman, Co-chair; Fonna Forman; Marcel Hénaff (Literature); Peter Stacey (History-UCLA)
M.A. Political Science, University of California, San Diego 2011
Political Theory (First Field), Comparative Politics (Second Field), 20th Century Social and Political Thought (Focus Field)
B.A. Political Science, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities 2009
Graduated summa cum laude with distinction
Honors Thesis: Moral Freedom Through Slavery?: The Moral Transformation of Authorization in the Political Thought of Hobbes and Rousseau.
- Sanford Lakoff Research Fellowship ($1227) 2017
Community College of Baltimore County
- Phil 240: Ethics (Spring 2018, Fall 2017)
University of California, San Diego
- Poli 28: Ethics of Civil and Political Society: Leadership and Revolt (Summer Session II 2016; Summer Session II 2014, co-taught with John Lejuene; and Summer Session II 2013, co-taught with John Lejuene)
- Poli 140C: International Crisis Diplomacy (Summer Session I 2016)
- Poli 110EA: American Political Thought Revolution to Civil War (Winter 2015)
- Poli 13: Power and Justice: An Introduction to Political Theory (Summer Session I 2013)
- “Thinking What We Are Doing in the Condition of Plurality”, “Quote” of the Week. HannahArendtCenter.org, 4 April 2016.
- “Machiavelli’s Ends of Politics, Virtù, Liberty as Mantenere lo Stato, and Glory” Western Political Science Association. March 2016.
- “The End of Politics: Machiavelli, Virtù, and Liberty as Mantenere lo Stato” American Political Science Association. September 2015.
- I served as organizer of APSA panel “65.1 Machiavelli, the Laws, and Liberty”.
- “By that Same Virtù: Consistency and Variation in Manifestations of Machiavelli’s Concept of Virtù” Western Political Science Association. April 2015.
- “A Theory of Vigilante Justice: Physical Not Metaphysical” (Co-authored with Caleb Scoville) American Political Science Association. September 2014.
- “’I Will Put Forward the Grandest Examples”: Machiavelli’s use of Exemplars in Developing his Theory of Statecraft.” Western Political Science Association April 2014.
- “Theological Politics: Awe and Skill in the Theory of Thomas Hobbes.” Midwest Political Science Association April 2012.
Academic Editorial Experience
The Adam Smith Review, publication of the International Adam Smith Society. Fonna Forman, Editor.
As Managing Editor 2017 – Present
· The Adam Smith Review 11 (In Development), The Adam Smith Review 12 (In Planning)
As Editorial Assistant 2012 – 2017
· The Adam Smith Review 7 (2013), The Adam Smith Review 8 (2014), The Adam Smith Review 9 (2016), The Adam Smith Review 10 (2017)
Teaching Assistant Experience
- Political Theory: Power and Justice: An Introduction to Political Theory (Fonna Forman), Political Thought from Machiavelli to Rousseau (Fonna Forman), Political Thought from Kant to Nietzsche (Gerry Mackie, Tracy Strong), Modern Political Ideologies (David Barzilai), International Political Thought (Christian Donath), American Political Thought Revolution to Civil War (David Selby), Power in American Society (Adam Gomez), Special Topics: Islamic Political Thought (Christian Donath)
- Comparative Politcs: The Politics of Immigration (Marisa Abrajano), Modern Capitalism (Ellen Comisso)
- Ethics: Ethics and Society (Ellen Comisso)
- History: The Renaissance in Italy (John Marino)
American Political Science Association, Association for Political Theory, Western Political Science Association
Italian (Academic and Professional Proficiency), German (Elementary Proficiency)
MiscAppeared as a guest on the “Stump the Cook” segment of a broadcast of American Public Media’s The Splendid Table with Lynn Rosetta Casper. (December 18, 2014).