Adjunct Professor, Towson University 2018 – Present
Department of Political Science
Adjunct Professor, Community College of Baltimore County 2017 – Present
Department of Philosophy
Visiting Scholar, Johns Hopkins University 2016 – Present
Department of Political Science
Ph.D. Political Science, University of California, San Diego 2017
Dissertation: The Recovery of Virtù: Imitation and Political Practices in the Works of Niccolò Machiavelli
Committee: Tracy Strong-Chair, Harvey Goldman-Co-chair, Fonna Forman, Marcel Hénaff (Literature), Peter Stacey (History-UCLA)
M.A. Political Science, University of California, San Diego 2011
First Field: Political Theory
Focus: 20th Century Social and Political Thought
Second Field: Comparative Politics
B.A. Political Science, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities 2009
Graduated summa cum laude with distinction
Honors Thesis: Moral Freedom Through Slavery?: The Moral Transformation of Authorization in the Political Thought of Hobbes and Rousseau.
Sanford Lakoff Research Fellowship ($1227) 2017
· Topics in Political Science: Ethics in Revolutionary Politics (Fall 2018)
· Introduction to Political Science (Spring 2019, two sections; Fall 2018, two sections)
Community College of Baltimore County
· Ethics (Spring 2019, Fall 2018; Spring 2018, three sections; Fall 2017)
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
· Political Philosophy (Fall 2018)
University of California, San Diego
· Ethics of Civil and Political Society: Leadership and Revolt (Summer Session II 2016; Summer Session II 2014, co-taught with John Lejuene; and Summer Session II 2013, co-taught with John Lejuene)
· International Crisis Diplomacy (Summer Session I 2016)
· American Political Thought Revolution to Civil War (Winter 2015)
· Power and Justice: An Introduction to Political Theory (Summer Session I 2013)
Teaching Assistant Experience (University of California, San Diego 2009 –2013)
· Political Theory: Power and Justice: An Introduction to Political Theory, Political Thought from Machiavelli to Rousseau, Political Thought from Kant to Nietzsche, Modern Political Ideologies, International Political Thought, American Political Thought Revolution to Civil War, Power in American Society, Special Topics: Islamic Political Thought
· Comparative Politics: The Politics of Immigration, Modern Capitalism
· Ethics: Ethics and Society
· History: The Renaissance in Italy
- “Thinking What We Are Doing in the Condition of Plurality”, “Quote” of the Week. HannahArendtCenter.org. 4 April 2016.
- “Machiavelli’s Ends of Politics, Virtù, Liberty as Mantenere lo Stato, and Glory” Western Political Science Association. March 2016.
- “The End of Politics: Machiavelli, Virtù, and Liberty as Mantenere lo Stato” American Political Science Association. September 2015.
- I organized the APSA panel “65.1 Machiavelli, the Laws, and Liberty”
- “By that Same Virtù: Consistency and Variation in Manifestations of Machiavelli’s Concept of Virtù” Western Political Science Association. April 2015.
- “A Theory of Vigilante Justice: Physical Not Metaphysical” (Co-authored with Caleb Scoville) American Political Science Association. September 2014.
- “’I Will Put Forward the Grandest Examples”: Machiavelli’s use of Exemplars in Developing his Theory of Statecraft.” Western Political Science Association. April 2014.
- “Theological Politics: Awe and Skill in the Theory of Thomas Hobbes.” Midwest Political Science Association. April 2012.
Academic Editorial Experience
The Adam Smith Review, publication of the International Adam Smith Society. Fonna Forman, Editor. As Managing Editor (2017 – 2019) I worked on the following volumes: ASR 11 (2018), ASR 12 (In Development), and ASR13 (In Planning). As Editorial Assistant (2012 – 2017) I worked on ASR 7 (2013), Vol. 8 (2014), Vol. 9 (2016), and Vol. 10 (2017).
- American Political Science Association
- Association for Political Theory
- Western Political Science Association
- Italian (Academic and Professional Proficiency)
- German (Elementary Proficiency)